On our way to Paris, we stopped by Chartres Cathedral. Unfortunately, we only had about twenty minutes to explore. It was not near enough time. We entered through the right door, which depicts the Mortal Christ.
 |
| You may notice that the two spires are not identical.... |
 |
The cathedral we see today was built between 1194-1260 AD in the Gothic style. In 1506, lightning destroyed the north spire (left from this point of view).
|
 |
| Over seven years, it was rebuilt in the taller, more decorative, "flamboyant" style, which is what we see today. |
 |
| There are three doors for entrance. The centre door is reserved for special occasions only. The two side doors are for visitors. Above the three doors are beautiful engravings. The left shows Christ's second coming, the centre depicts the Eternal Christ, and the right portrays the Mortal Christ. |
When I entered, my eyes were instantly drawn upwards, almost subconsciously. I remembered Dr. Simmons claiming that the first place we would look when we entered was upwards. For some odd reason, I almost wanted to prove him wrong, but it was impossible. Words failed me from the moment I stepped through the doors until I was walking back to the bus. All I could think of was, “Oh, my goodness! This is incredible!”
 |
| The Cathedral was in the midst of restoration. On the left is the cleaned stone. |
The stained glass and rose windows were beautiful: blues and reds blended with the white light casting elegant reflections on the stone floor.
 |
| The Labyrinth is a maze that travels from the West Door to the centre of the church. It symbolizes the journey from birth to the door of the Heavenly Jerusalem. Pilgrims would crawl on their hands and knees through the Labyrinth. |
Candles and hushed voices created a mystical, reverent atmosphere. The splendor of the place reflects the Splendor of the One for whom it was made. Breathtaking works of art are everywhere: the screen surrounding the choir is covered with detailed sculptures; stunning paintings are tastefully hung in alcoves for prayer or behind an artifact. Twenty minutes, even an hour, could not do this magnificent cathedral justice.
Up next..... PARIS!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment