Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Dream Come True: Part 9


Ah! The Louvre! Once again, time could not do justice to the immensity of the museum. So much to see; so little time to enjoy. But, I assure you, I soaked up every bit of it I could. I can't wait to return, perhaps annually with a few little students in tow... ;)


The Louvre was originally a palace. This was the courtyard. In the middle is the famous Pyramid.


Because I already have a love for Medieval history, learning the history of the Louvre was fascinating.
A model of the original castle in front of the foundations of the original castle.
This was the layout of the castle and the surrounding area. I think below it is the layout today.
Each stone has a small symbol engraved into it. The most prominent is a heart. Archeologists have deduced that stonemasons would engrave their symbol into their stones so that they could be payed for their work. However, there were so many hearts that historians believe a group of workers created a "Union" of sorts, where they all engraved a heart and then split the pay amongst themselves.

This helmet has an interesting history. Research about it began when they found pieces of the helmet at the bottom of a well. When they had pieced them together, it was identified as that of King Charles VI because of its fleur-de-lis decoration, and by comparison with the 1411 inventory of the king's armory. What puzzled archeologists was why the King's parade helmet would be at the bottom of a well. So, they began searching for documents to explain the phenomenon. Soon, they found record of a squire who had been caught running off with fragments of gold in his pocket around the same time as the king's helmet was found missing. Therefore, historians decided that the squire, greedy for a bit of gold, stole the kings helmet, took some of the gold off, and, in order to hide evidence, threw it in the well.
Probably my favourite part of the Louvre is the amount of masterpieces I know and love that are held there. For example....
Victory of Samothrace, which I had always known as The Winged Victory,
Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa 
Jacques Louis David’s Coronation of Napoleon. The size of David’s Coronation amazed me. It was probably twice the height of the average person, much larger than I imagined. 
Aphrodite, called Venus of Milo
I also found some new favourites, such as....
Antonio Canova’s Psyche Revived by Cupid’s Kiss. I feel in love with this one. 
I don't know the name of this one...
The Fortune Teller, by Michelangelo.
Not only were the works of art magnificent, but the walls and ceilings themselves were gorgeously decorated. The amount of gold used is astonishing. 
It may have been a palace, but almost every doorway and rafter was embellished with gold...
...ceilings beautifully painted with cherubs and angels...
...structural columns decorated in gothic or greek style.
 I was overwhelmed with the beauty and immensity, knowing I only saw a piece of the whole. It is said that if someone were to spend thirty seconds in front of each display, he or she would be there for a full SEVEN years. Who's ready to move to Paris now?

Next up..... Musee d'Orsay!!!!

No comments: