Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Joy.

November? Already? I've tried writing this post four times already. Once, just a week or two after I moved in, then twice in September, then earlier this weekend. For some reason, the words I wanted to say just wouldn't come. I tried documenting my happenings—moving in, making new friends, having visitors; I tried sharing my joy at finding a home a good seven hours away from the only home I've ever really known; I even tried to put into words the lessons God has been teaching me during this new season. Unfortunately, though, I never got past the first three sentences. So, why now?

Well, first, it's daylight savings time. I have never been so happy to change the clock back than I was Saturday night and Sunday morning. For the past few weeks, I would wake up to absolute darkness at 7am. Today, I woke up to this at 6:30am.


Glory.Glory.Hallelujah. As I lay in bed and looked around—my room slowly filling with light, my roommate sleeping in her bed, birds chirping away outside, a light breeze blowing through our window—I was happy. I've been oh.so.happy ever since I've gotten here. I honestly can't think of a single thing I would change. It's not been easy; God has certainly taught me a few lessons. But, I have so much joy. I can't help but smile when I think about what I have here. I absolutely love my roommate and hallmates. Jungle is the best (sidenote: we got T-Shirts yesterday, and we're all wearing them today!! :P). Anna just makes me smile (sidenote 2: we have a quote board of funny things anyone on our hall says, and I think Anna is the most featured). I live on a mountain, y'all. A MOUNTAIN!! It's chilly. There's colour all around me!! I found a church, a small one that is different enough from CrossWay that I can't compare, but similar enough that it feels like home. It's close enough, too, that I can participate in a weekly, women's Bible study. I can be the Church not just attend church. I am surrounded by friends and fellow believers; I am saturated in a community that loves God and desires in all things to make Christ preeminent. I know it's cliche, but (sorry, Covenant peoples. I couldn't help it), it is so true. I see God everywhere. And I have so much joy because of it.

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure...
... But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation
say continually, “Great is the Lord!”
As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God!

--Psalm 40:1-2,16-17

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Dude! This is so cool!!!! Glad you're enjoying this time in your life. I miss you tons!!!!! <3